Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Temporary Pets

The boys' California cousins sent us a butterfly kit a few weeks ago. The boys were very excited when we got our caterpillars in the mail and they loved to watch them. Because of the heat our caterpillars turned into chrysalids 2 days after we got them. They started to get darker and one night as I was looking at them I just knew they were going to come out soon. I woke up the next morning to find three butterflies already out! I really wanted to see one come out so I watched the two left but then I had to go make breakfast and get Rexford ready for school. I came back in the room a few minutes later and another one was out! I really wanted to see the last one come out but I had to take Rexford to school and of course when I got home I found that the last one was out too! The kids were so excited to see the butterflies! After dropping Rexford off at school I stopped by the store to get an orange and watermelon because they apparently like to drink from them. I put some at the bottom of the net for them and it was fun to watch them drink the juice. We watched the butterflies for 2 days but then we could see that they were getting a little anxious to fly so after dinner we took them outside. One of the butterflies was hanging out around the top and immediately flew off so high! I had been a little worried that they wouldn't be able to fly. The second one took a few tries to find the way out but found the opening and flew super high too. The last three were near the bottom of the net so Brian picked one up and let the boys touch it and then let it fly off. He helped the last two out and off they went! They all flew! We loved having them around for awhile and it was a little sad to see them go. But I was so relieved that they were fine and healthy and Rexford was excited that his butterflies were getting to explore the world. By the way, he named them Fluffy, Rexford, Austin, Ava, and Zach because those are pretty good names he said :) Thanks Aunt Eileen, Uncle Mark, Savannah, Mark, and Brockton for our fun pets!

Rexford with the chrysalids
Getting very dark - the night before they came out
I woke up and found three butterflies and the other two came out within an hour
Our little painted ladies

Enjoying some watermelon
Getting ready to explore the world
This was our anxious little guy who flew out first
Austin touching the butterfly
Rexford touched it but was a little nervous

No comments: