Monday, June 1, 2009

Tummy Issues

I thought I would attempt to take the boys somewhere by myself on Monday. I usually bring Aunt Alyson along but she is about to have a baby and I figured she was tired and had stuff to do. I didn't want to bother her and I thought I could handle the kids at the science center by myself. Now that Rexford is potty trained I knew I'd have to make bathroom trips so I decided to just use my little umbrella stroller for Austin so we could easily fit into the small bathrooms. We got there and all was fine. We saw the new Mr. Potato Head exhibit and had lots of fun checking out the new stuff. Then we went down to the kid area to play a little more there. We got hungry so we went to the cafeteria to buy some lunch. I usually bring lunch but since my little stroller has no storage area I didn't have room for a lunch bag too. We were happily eating our lunch when Rexford asked me for water (strange request because he was drinking milk and he always prefers milk and juice over water). I gave him water and then he starts crying and screaming that his stomach hurts. I thought maybe that he had to use the bathroom so I took Austin out of the high chair and carried him while I pushed a crying Rexford in the stroller to the bathroom. He continued to scream and cry that he doesn't need to go and he wants to go home. He just kept saying he wanted to go home and that his stomach hurt. I put Austin back in the stroller with the crazy hope of Rexford walking to the car. Everyone is of course staring at us wondering why my kid who looks like he's four is having such a fit. He was so loud and just kept crying. I put him down so that he could walk and he layed down on the floor and kept crying telling me he can't walk. So I picked him up (45 lbs!) and carried him to the car while pushing the stroller. I managed to get everyone in the car and start driving while he kept reminding me he wanted to go home and go to sleep. After about a minute I look back and he's totally out asleep and he continued to sleep for two hours. I still don't know what was wrong with him(I'm guessing gas pain???) and he was fine when he woke up. I'm so glad I didn't pick this day to go to Sea World by myself. Then I would have had a hot screaming kid far away from home. Luckily the science center is pretty close to home. I think he had fun before the whole stomach incident. Hopefully my next trip out by myself won't involve so much screaming and crying. Here are some pictures before things went downhill.

Putting together Mr. Potato Head

Rexford loved this part and played there for a long time


Astronaut Rexford


Rexford loved this - you push the button and wind starts blowing stuff around


I'm not sure what a lot of these things have to do with Mr. Potato Head but they were fun anyway


I am lucky I could get him anywhere near this big guy - he usually is afraid of life-size characters


After that we went next door to dig for some dinosaur eggs


Then Rexford fixed a car


And cooked a little

And then came lunch. I wish I had a picture of me struggling to get to the car with a screaming 45 lb kid on my hip who is almost as big as me. It might be funny in a few years.

3 comments:

Dodie and Elmer said...

Awww. I hate it when they are not feeling well. I am glad he had fun for a little while. I can't wait to get back to the states so we can do fun stuff like that. Rexford make Eric look like a hobbit :)

Polly said...

sorry you had a bad day. I hope it doesnt discourage you from going on another solo outing.

Angela said...

Oh, you poor dear! You do such a wonderful job describing events... I could just picture all of this. Glad it was nothing serious. Look at the bright side... You got a really good arm workout from the day =/