Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cake Fun

The young women in our ward had a talent show with a cake auction to raise money for camp. I made two cakes which turned out to be a lot of work and a big mess but it was yummy and fun :)

The first cake I made was a zebra cake found here:
I changed it a little because some people said the cake had no taste. I just used a white cake mix and then divided into two bowls and added dark cocoa powder to one. Then I followed the directions for how to make the zebra stripes. On the website they didn't frost the cake but I used a homemade dark chocolate frosting between layers and a homemade vanilla buttercream for the top and then used a combo to decorate it. It's not perfect looking but from the pieces I trimmed and the leftover frosting, it was yummy! I want to make another one soon so I can slice into it and see the stripes.



The other cake I made was from here:
I have made these cupcakes several times and they are delicious! So for the auction I made a cake instead of the cupcakes. It's a heavy cake and you need milk to go with it but it's one of my favorite cupcake recipes. Peanut butter and chocolate go together so well!

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Those look so yummy. And professional! I'm going to have to make those cupcakes for our anniversary. Eric's been bugging me to find a good peanut butter cupcake recipe. Those look perfect